Join our team of more than 34,000 team members, supporting our members and communities in our Club Support Center, 235+ clubs and eight distribution centers. BJ’s Wholesale Club offers a collaborative and inclusive environment where all team members can learn, grow and be their authentic selves. Together, we’re committed to providing outstanding service and convenience to our members, helping them save on the products and services they need for their families and homes.
The Benefits of working at BJ’s
• BJ’s pays weekly
• Generous time off programs to support busy lifestyles*
o Vacation, Personal, Holiday, Sick, Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty
• Benefit plans for your changing needs*
o Three medical plans**, Health Reimbursement Account (HRA), Health Savings Account (HSA), two dental plans, flexible spending
*eligibility requirements vary by position
**medical plans vary by location
The Person in Charge works closely with the Club Manager and Assistant Club Manager in providing leadership and direction within the club while driving club performance by maintaining policies and procedures, delivering a positive service experience to Members, and providing leadership and direction. Acts as a key holder for the club. The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate.
• Know their business/business acumen. Exhibit strategic thinking and sound decision-making thorough knowledge and utilization of business data. • Lead through change. Model leadership competencies to build credibility and act as a champion for business growth. • Communicate effectively. Provide the information teams require to be successful. • Build high performing teams by creating a culture of collaboration. Provide honest and timely direction, follow up and feedback that will drive business results and support team member engagement. • Deliver results. Execute business expectations within expected timeframes by setting clear expectations, utilizing follow up and accountability.
Team Members: • Teach, coach and lead through the club level training process. Support team member engagement within all areas of responsibility to enable the application of policies, procedures and compliance. • Drive a culture of development, strategic thinking and acting, ethical decision making and engagement. Lead with the team member and member in mind to address all concerns and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. • Ensure a safe and positive environment and experience for the team members. • Embrace inclusion and diversity, by working together with collaboration and respect. Acknowledge team member success, work as a team to achieve goals, identify and retain top talent.
• Guarantee service excellence through all points of contact. • Set service standard expectations for all team members. Provide team support and empowerment to resolve every member concern. • Ensure a safe and positive environment and experience for the members. • Daily commitment to GOLD Member Standards • Greet, Anticipate, Appreciate (GAA) • Fast, Friendly Full, Fresh, Clean
Club Standards: Lead teams to deliver GOLD club standards daily. • Define and model GOLD- Grand opening look daily • All items stocked and promotional plans executed • Maintain visible accurate signage • Clean and organized, inside and out . Perishable areas stocked and rotated with cold chain maintained
Know Your Business:
• Acquire a deep knowledge of key metrics and reporting for total club and department performance. • Drive performance and profitability by using reporting to identify trends and areas of opportunity. • Have the foresight to see a breakdown in process and correct it before it negatively impacts club performance metrics. • Communicate a simple message to your team on the connection between consistent operational performance and achieving club financial targets.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
• Effectively leads the team by managing with vision and purpose, clearly communicating and giving direction, and validating results. • Maintains deep knowledge of club policies and procedures across all areas of the club. • Provides leadership and direction, and manages day-to-day operations of Fresh (meat, produce, deli, bakery), Front of House Departments (tire bay, gas station, member service, frontline, membership fee income, and maintenance departments), overall merchandising, signage, recovery, and receiving within the club. • Works closely with the Fresh Manager, Meat Manager, Front End Manager, and Night Manager to validate and ensure that all sanitation, food safety, and Team Member safety policies and procedures are in place and being effectively executed. • Escalates issues as appropriate to Home Office or the Club Manager as needed. • Responsible for the effective communication of department activities and Home Office initiatives to club Team Members. • Responsible for the effective communication and partnership with regional business partners. • Continually monitors member service levels and ensures a positive service experience is delivered to all Members. • Assesses Team Member performance, provides actionable feedback and coaches, teaches and develops talent. Assists in onboarding, training and performance management. • Learns quickly and adapts to change. Effectively communicates to team members to enable them to do their jobs effectively by sharing necessary information, explaining the “why’s”, and keeping messaging simple. • Exhibits strong decision-making capabilities that align with the Company’s strategic priorities and support the achievement of club operational goals and objectives. • Operates forklift in a safe and efficient manner. • Maintains all club policies and procedures. • Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of this job. • Performs other duties as assigned, including working in other departments as needed.
• Previous retail experience in a retail store, supermarket, or warehouse required. • A strong drive for results and solid work ethic is required. Must be honest, straight-forward and committed to providing high levels of service to members. • Excellent communication skills required. Must be able to lead and motivate a large team. • Basic computer knowledge (MS Word, MS Excel, Email) required. • High school diploma and/or college degree preferred. • Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results. • Forklift operator required. • Open shift availability required. • At least 18 years of age.
Environmental Job Conditions:
• Most of the time is spent moving about frequently on hard surfaces. There may be a need to occasionally position oneself to examine or scan merchandise, which may also require bending, pulling, reaching, climbing and/or stooping. • Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects in excess of 30 pounds with assistance. • Located in a comfortable indoor area with frequent exposure to temperature extremes and loud noises. There may be occasional exposure to cleaning agents.
In accordance with the Pay Transparency requirements, the following represents a good faith estimate of the compensation range for this position. At BJ’s Wholesale Club, we carefully consider a wide range of non-discriminatory factors when determining salary. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, education, experience, and qualifications. The pay range for this position is $19.00-$23.75.
At BJ's Wholesale Club, we’re focused on delivering unbeatable value and outstanding service to our members and communities.
Headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts, BJ's Wholesale Club is a leading operator of membership warehouse clubs in the Eastern United States. Currently operating more than 235 clubs, over 165 BJ's Gas® locations and eight distribution centers, we were the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Providing a curated assortment of grocery, general merchandise, gasoline and ancillary services, BJ's offers a differentiated shopping experience that is further enhanced by our omnichannel capabilities.