UPMC Passavant is seeking a Supervisor of Pharmacy Operations to support a dedicated hospital pharmacy team and augment our pharmacy leadership! This is a great opportunity for someone who excels at leading a team and is committed to quality, excellence, and innovative collaboration for advancing pharmacy services.
The Pharmacy Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing pharmacy services and personnel in a variety of operational areas, leading quality improvement efforts, and ensuring compliance with Federal and State regulations, USP, and JCAHO accreditation standards. All responsibilities are accomplished in collaboration with the pharmacy leadership team under the direction of a Pharmacy Director or Manager. The supervisor will work primarily daylight shift, with variable staffing coverage as needed by the department, and no standing weekend or holiday commitment.
UPMC offers a generous benefits package, an expansive total rewards package, opportunity to grow your career and much more. Apply today to learn more!
Operational Supervision and Optimization
Supervise and lead the provision of safe, timely, efficient, equitable, effective, and patient-centered pharmacy services.
· Oversee day to day operations or applications in assigned areas of specific oversight.
o Ensure pharmacist and technician workflows are followed.
o Troubleshoot unplanned issues, delegating or escalating if needed.
o Areas of oversight may include but not limited to distribution, narcotic control, pharmaceutical compounding (i.e. sterile, non-sterile, hazardous), pharmacy automation, technology and information systems, procurement, pharmaceutical waste, and drug shortage operations.
· Participate in call-off schedule gap coverage (on rotation with other pharmacy leadership) and assist with staffing coverage if needed.
· Ensure achievement of productivity standards, and adherence to regulations and standards of performance and accreditation.
· Oversee and maintain expertise in assigned areas of specific responsibility such as human resource policies and procedures, drug procurement, IV admixture preparation, and drug dispensing systems.
· Hold staff accountable to standards of the department and UPMC.
· Serve as a liaison for staff and leadership in assigned areas of specific oversight.
· Support clinical pharmacy workflows and practice expectations through operational planning.
- Participate in the annual review and revision of the Policy and Procedures manual.
· Identify opportunities to redesign systems of oversight to maximize performance (i.e.: labor and operational efficiency).
· Manage current electronic health record (EHR), technology, and automation for optimum value.
· Review reports for medication errors, adverse drug events, and/or ineffective service.
Human Resource Management
- Responsible for the direct supervision of any combination of pharmacy technicians, pharmacist interns, pharmacy learners, pharmacists, or support staff who work within their assigned area of specific oversight.
· Support pharmacist and technician schedule review, adjustments, and approvals
· Ensure staff competency via training, competency assessments, validations, and other means.
· Oversee the development, documentation, provision, and preparation of training information, ensuring that materials are updated and prepared to meet the training needs for all pharmacy staff.
· Evaluate performance of assigned personnel.
- Lead initiatives to identify gaps in training knowledge and areas for staff performance improvement.
· Identify and deal with personnel issues in a proactive and timely manner, with appropriate follow-up to improve performance.
Complete performance evaluations of appropriate staff members. Initiates disciplinary action and makes recommendations for corrective action and improvement of performance.
Participate in the recruitment, interviewing and hiring of staff.
Lead the training of staff on application specific training and updates.
Coordinate and lead team meetings/huddles.
Participate in routine operations and department team meetings.
Project Planning and Leadership
Implement projects as assigned by the Manager/Director.
Project management, oversight and involvement will range from independent work on small projects, to leading teams on large scale changes.
Projects may involve departments external to pharmacy and require work with other teams/departments to ensure that the activities and contributions align with priorities and timelines for the organization.
· Act as a liaison with an interdisciplinary team of health professionals with opportunities to collaborate on site and / or system level projects and initiative.
· Participate in department’s strategic plan development and execution of assigned goals.
· Identify and develop business cases for operational services based upon anticipated future needs, operational advancement, and organizational priorities.
· Participate and/or lead, as pharmacy representative, organization quality improvement initiatives/projects.
· Maintain an expertise in the selection and use quality improvement methodologies/tools to maximize project outcomes.
· Develop and maintain an expertise in change management tools and theories.
Direct Patient Care (staffing)
· Performs the duties of a pharmacist as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Other Departmental Preferences
Previous hospital pharmacy and supervisory experience.
Computer skills – word processing, spreadsheets, pharmacy software, and databases.
Effective oral and written communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to work independently.
Knowledge of healthcare information systems and pharmacy automation and technology.
Ability to work in a complex team environment and to collaborate with both external and internal professionals and other customers.
Ability to recognize personal strengths and weaknesses and develop goals for professional growth and achievement.
An understanding of and the ability to apply lean principles and systematic evaluation.
Effective skills in prioritization, change management, problem solving, team building, collaboration, conflict resolution, decision making, time management, and strategic planning.
B.S./PharmD degree from an accredited School of Pharmacy.
3 years of operational experience in a pharmacy.
Ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of the specific areas of responsibility.
Understands departmental and hospital policies and procedures. Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran