About Avery Dennison Corporation:
Avery Dennison Corporation (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs approximately 36,000 employees in more than 50 countries. Reported sales in 2022 were $9.0 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
The Firmware Engineer is responsible for solving complex problems and technical issues involving the company’s products or
processes. The incumbent will be a major contributor, applying extensive knowledge of principles, theories, concepts and internal
practices, processes, and products. The incumbent will follow the lead engineer on significant projects with a major impact on the
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
● Present information and effectively communicate with managers and cross-functional team members.
● Develop portions of new product development. Generate new ideas for products.
● Maintain awareness of advances in technology and competitive intellectual property.
● Limited inter-organizational and outside customer contacts.
● Provide recommendations for equipment.
● Leverage internal and external experts to accomplish goals.
● Methodical Problem Solving: uses a methodical approach (builds mental models, designs experiments, develops test tools, etc) in
understanding and solving problems.
● Participate as part of a development team, contribute during conceptual design and architectural strategic planning sessions,
provide in-depth technical input and analysis, perform code reviews, and actively participate as part of the overall engineering team.
● Provide on-going enhancements and code maintenance for multiple simultaneous projects.
● Produce in-line documentation in compliance with Avery Dennison standards.
● Skills/Techniques: proficient in using design techniques, debugging skills; easily makes technology choices; good technical and
software development background.
● Other duties, as assigned by management.
Locations: Sayre, PA or Miamisburg, OH.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, in computer science, electronics, mathematics, or a similar technical field, or
equivalent practical work experience.
● 5+ years experience writing embedded firmware for connected devices at the BSP and driver level, as well as designing systems at
the architectural level.
● Demonstrated experience in new product development and stage gate product development processes.
● Knowledge with remote device connectivity using wired Ethernet, USB, Serial communications.
● Develop real time machine control firmware in C/C++, knowledge of assembly a plus.
● Experience working in a real time operating system environment.
● Experience doing “Bare Metal” programming.
● Experience with various motor types, including DC and stepper motors.
● Experience with bootloaders a plus.
● Experience with FPGAs a plus.
● Experience in developing embedded RFID systems a plus.
● An extensive, in-depth and demonstrable understanding of the overall software development life cycle (SDLC) process.
● Excellent analytical capability with the expertise to research and apply logical and scientific thinking to a wide range of technical
problems, including the ability to understand, write and decode formulas, scientific equations, and deal with a variety of abstract
and concrete variables.
● A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and the Google online suite of products (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.).
● Strong verbal and written communication skills, a self-starter with outstanding planning and organizational skills.
● Ability to work independently or as part of a diverse team with diverse cultures across multiple geographic locations.
● A passion for delivering high-quality firmware solutions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled